FITZROY FALLS Southern Highlands New South Wales
Although long known to the aborigines, who passed by it on their migrations from the coast to the Highlands, the falls were 'discovered' in the 1820s by Charles Throsby, pioneer settler of Bong Bong, whose property extended as far as the falls itself.
Its spectacular beauty made it a favourite place for the Throsbys to bring their many guests on picnics. One of these, NSW Governor Fitzroy, visited in 1850 and in typically modest manner named the falls after himself.
Twelve years later, when the area was surveyed, they were still referred to as 'Throsby's waterfall', but the name Fitzroy was to win out.
The falls lie in the path of the Yarrunga Creek, which drops over 80 metres down the escarpment, and flows on into the Kangaroo River. The water flow is not as massive, nor as irregular, as in the past due to a water catchment dam further upstream today. The falls have only be known to dry up once in living memory.
Long recognised for its natural beauty, 4000 acres was set aside as a reserve in 1882, and later attempts to 'develop' the area were thwarted by Highlands residents.